The Taupo Native Plant Nursery was established in Taupo by Lands & Surveys - a ( now defunct) government department. Its purpose was to grow and supply native plants for the restoration of their scenic reserves, national parks and forests.
Ground breaking work carried out at the nursery included being the first to recognise the importance of, and carry out eco-sourcing in NZ. Seeds from the Taupo local area were hand collected, propagated and grown at the nursery to supply plants to the nearby Aratiatia Dam in 1962. Following the sucess of this large-scale revegetation project, further eco sourced projects were implemented. Today eco-sourcing is a recognised requirement of any revegetation project of local or national significance.
The Department of Conservation replaced Lands and Survey in the 1980s and the nursery eventually moved over to private ownership in the 1990s. From here the new owners invested considerably into the existing site and equipment and expanded production - providing an even greater choice of natives.
In 2005 Taupo Native Plant Nursery opened a second nursery in South Auckland as a growing site for many coastal plants and warmer climate species we supply. Taupo Native South Auckland acts as a main growing site for our Auckland and Northland based clients.
During 2012 we purchased a nursery near Lake Brunner, 30 minutes from Greymouth. The new Lake Brunner nursery will provide a service space for our South Island customers and we will be growing a full range od Podocarp species, regional wetland species and eco-sourced species at this nursery.
Of the original owners who invested in Taupo Native Plant Nursery in the 1990s, many of them and/or their families are still involved with the company today.
Taupo Native Plant Nursery was the first specialist revegetation native plant nursery in New Zealand and we have remained the leader in this field to the present day. We have actively invested in our processes, people and equipment to do so, and we continually strive to exceed production and service levels required by our customers. Over the years we have entered into other markets including supplying medium to smaller scale plantings such as farms and lifestyle blocks; providing growing on lines for other nurseries; introducing direct mail orders to home gardeners; and running a specialist garden centre. This diversification has enabled the nursery to remain stead-fast in the wake of the current and previous recessions which have forced so many other nurseries out of business.
Our Taupo Native team comprises some 50 core staff across the three nurseries, with seasonal staff during our peak times.
- Philip Smith - Managing Director
- Dave Dalton - Logistics/Sales
- Helen Gillies - Marketing/Sales
- Business Manager - Ian Parata
- Reception - Vicki Jerome
- Matt Jackman - Despatch Manager
- Pam Rainford - Accounts/Enquires
- Kerry Steyn - Garden Centre Manager
To visit us at our Taupo Nursery see the map and hours we are open.
South Auckland Nursery
- Michael Watts - South Auckland Manager
- Sheryl Hickey - Marketing/Sales (Auckland)
Our South Auckland base, affords excellent growing on opportunities.
Lake Brunner Nursery
- Juliette Curry - Nursery Manager
- Large and medium scale revegetation / restoration schemes, including those undertaken by Transit NZ, government departments, local and regional councils, land developers, conservation groups and other large land owners. These schemes include roadside and motorway plantings; coastal sand-dune plantings; wildlife habitat enhancement; alpine restoration; natural wetland plantings; and more applied uses such as effluent treatment plantings.
- Small scale native plantings including those on farms, small business, urban sections, small holdings and the home garden.
- Retail stock and growing-on lines for garden centres and commercial nurseries.
Major Plant Supply Projects Successfully Undertaken
- Bruce Road, Whakapapa: DOC project: 100,000 Plants
- Arapuni Dam Site : Electricorp : 42,000 Plants
- Mana Island: DOC project: 50,000 Plants and ongoing
- Waikato Coastal : Environment Waikato : 200,000 Plants and ongoing
- Coromandel Coastal : Environment Waikato : 200,000 Plants and ongoing
- Motutapu Island: DOC: I0,000 Plants (1992-1994)
- North Western Motorway Auckland : Transit NZ : 20,000 Plants
- Airport Motorway SH20 : Transit NZ : 150,000 Plants
- Museum Of New Zealand- Te Papa: Boffa Miskel: 45,000 Plants
- Alpurt A2 - Albany to Puhoi Motorway : Transit : 50,000 Plants
- Newlands Interchange: GMS / Milnes Plant Link / Transit: 50,000 Plants
SERVICE and PARTNERSHIP
We want to work "with" you - include us in the early planning stages of your project.
- We have a proven and reliable track record in the supply of large and difficult planting contracts.
- We are recognised growers of native plants that will survive when planted on open, harsh and exposed sites.
- We grow and stock native plants suitable for all regions of New Zealand including off shore Islands and for all habitats from the mountains to the sea.
- Our prices are very competitive.
We see our business through the eyes of our clients. To that extent our aim is to provide a complete, high quality professional service to all our customers, both in terms of the quality of the plants supplied and the efficiency of their delivery.
To this end we have set minimum quality control standards for all aspects of our operation and these are constantly being monitored, reviewed and improved.
AFFILIATIONS and MEMBERSHIP
- Taupo Native Plant Nursery are members of the following organisations:
- International Plant Propagators Society
- Dune Restoration Trust of New Zealand
- Nursery & Garden Industry Assn. of NZ
- New Zealand Plant Conservation Network
- New Zealand Botanical Society
- Rotorua Botanical Society
- New Zealand Alpine Garden Society
- Ducks Unlimited NZ Inc.
- NZ Farm Foresty Association
- Tane Tree Trust
- LIANZ Landscaping Industries Assoc of New Zealand Inc.
- Kauri 2000 Trust
- Waterfowl Enhancement Trust